Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Life. 18 Days; A Lament

And it's
about time for school
again.
But I'm kicking, not ready,
because I've never liked school, ever, I
ceaselessly, tirelessly, seek to evade summer's ending.
Don't get me wrong,
everybody has to do it, and we will, too.
Federal law and all.
Girls have their notebooks and pencils
hidden away, where they don't
have to look at them, but could grab them,
in an emergency,
if we're taken by surprise.
In case
it's cool when that first day comes, jeans just purchased.
In case it's not, last year's jeans cut off.
It
just
kills me,
knowing how much
life's about to be frittered away,
mainly waiting for other kids.
Most of the school day, in all honesty.
Neither of them hates it.
Optimistic, upbeat,
pretty and (sufficiently)
popular, well behaved and
quiet students. They'll be fine. I'm
reading this
stuff in
Time magazine, that long, lazy summer breaks hurt
underprivileged kids. I'm sure it's right. I'm sorry. I know
very
well about summer slump, I taught my own slackers. It's ec
xactly as the talking heads are telling it.

(But
I am riven
knowing how
young my girls never will be again.
Senior year, seventh grade.)

You're running too fast, stop now, slow down.
You should have nothing but time. C'mon.
Yellow sun, white hot days, red melon, blue nights.
Zoo, anyone?


I think Eden took these pictures

6 comments:

  1. yes, zoo. but not until after school starts. unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I hit this point of the summer and something in me starts to purr into life. I always shivered with anticipation to start the new school year - the ads for school clothes in the paper, the smell of pencils in the school supplies aisle, new shoes. I love summer when it comes and I want it to last forever. But then when August is half over I can't wait for fall - crispness, bright leaves, early misty mornings and the yellow school bus, brown bag lunches and knee socks.

    But I'm sorry it's sad for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful girls. Lovely lament. We all should have nothing but time . ..

    ReplyDelete
  4. thinking about having nothing but time - halting the house cleaning and heading for the pool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. At least you're not in denial like me. We haven't been school shopping or even registered for new schools yet (one week to go?). If I procrastinate, summer will never die. That's what I thought when I had to turn in summer reading assignments right before school started in high school, too. It didn't work then, either.

    Ha--at least I'm finally caught up reading here! Much higher on my to-do list if I had one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel exactly the opposite. I love school for my kids. I wish I felt the way you feel--because it seems like you love your kids more and like I want to get rid of mine.

    ReplyDelete